Pre-Christmas cleaning tips
Trust us, these Pre-Christmas cleaning tips are a lifesaver!
Christmas is almost here! If you’re hosting a party or celebration at home, find out how to prepare & get your home clean & tidy beforehand.
- To keep your bedding and sheets extra fresh for guests, wash separately from other clothing.
- Try and reach the end of your laundry basket before the beginning of the festive period.
- Stock up on detergent in case you need to freshen up some items of clothing during the holidays.
- Try to maintain a certain level of cleanliness in the bathroom throughout the festivities – this will prevent the spread of germs for when all of those extra bodies are in the house.
- Schedule in a big Christmas clean before the big day, so you can put your feet up and enjoy the fun when it matters.
- This is where we can come in and work out the magic! Just give us a call and we will send out cleaning fairies!
Christmas is almost here! It’s a good idea to prepare for Christmas by cleaning and tidying the different areas of your home. Dividing up the tasks into different areas will make it easy for you, so here are our best Christmas cleaning tips for the bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, and living room.
Preparing for Christmas parties
Even if you’re not expecting guests over the festive period, you should always expect the unexpected at Christmas. Whether it’s family turning up unannounced, or a friend who pops over and gets talked into opening a bottle of festive cheer with you and is unable to drive home, you may end up with more guests than you bargained for. This means you should make sure that your guest bedroom is ready to receive guests at a moment’s notice. Here’s how to get your guest room up to scratch:
- Change the sheets so that they’re clean and fresh. Bedding – sheets and duvet covers – can be washed in the washing machine a good quality detergent, but try to wash them separately from other clothing, as smaller items like socks can get caught amongst the sheets and might not be cleaned properly.
- Vacuum and polish the guest room to freshen it up, which is particularly important if you don’t tend to use this room very often. Rooms that are left unoccupied for long periods can gather dust, making them quite musty. You may wish to move a house plant into the guest room to make it feel more welcoming and ‘lived in’ to make your guests feel more comfortable.
- Make space in a wardrobe, or in a set of drawers, that your guests can use. If they are planning to stay for a few days, your guests don’t want to be living from a suitcase. Make sure you check the wardrobes first, as these can be ideal breeding grounds for mould. Find out how to deal with mould in wardrobes here.
If you’re hosting a big family Christmas dinner this year, the kitchen really will be the heart of your home. However, the kitchen isn’t just about cooking – it’s also about safely and hygienically storing food; it’s about keeping your glassware, cutlery, and crockery clean and shiny; and, if you keep your washing machine in the kitchen, it’s also about staying on top of your laundry. Here are some kitchen tasks you may wish to tackle during the pre-Christmas tidy-up:
- Try to reach the bottom of your laundry basket before the festive period begins in earnest. There is nothing worse than getting ready for a Christmas party and finding that your favourite little black dress is still stuffed in the bottom of the basket waiting for the wash. Take yourself shopping and stock up on Persil small & mighty laundry detergent and Comfort fabric softener to ensure you don’t run out at a vital moment.
- Clean your oven before Christmas so that it’s all ready to cook that feast to perfection. If your oven is covered in small bits of cremated food, it could not only affect the taste of your meat, but it could also start to smoke, leaving a nasty, lingering smell in the house. Use a good quality oven cleaner to get your oven clean again, making sure to follow the directions on the label and taking any necessary safety precautions. Always make sure that the oven is cool before you start to clean it.
- Clean your fridge, removing any out-of-date food (and recycling the packaging where appropriate). Emptying out your fridge also means you’ve got plenty of room for things like wine and trifle!
- If you’ve got friends and family visiting over Christmas, you’ll probably be offering drinks around – wine, port, sherry, mulled wine, mulled cider, and so on – all the festive classics. No one wants a drink served in a dirty, cloudy-looking glass, so make sure you get all your glassware sparkling before your guests arrive. An easy way to do this is to rinse the outside of the glass in vinegar – don’t worry about the smell, as it will fade as it dries.
- One of the most important things you can do during the pre-Christmas clean up is to get your bathroom as clean and hygienic as possible and try to maintain this level of cleanliness all throughout the festive period. Not only will your bathroom be used more as you entertain family and friends, but maintaining a clean bathroom area is vital in order to prevent the spread of germs. Use a fresh-smelling spray and a toilet cleaning product from a trusted brand name to ensure that your bathroom is clean and hygienic. Just follow the directions on the label and test any product in a small area first.
- Vacuuming is important over Christmas to keep your home looking clean and fresh. Prior to the big day, it’s also important to get your carpets clean before your kids sit on the floor opening and playing with their presents from Santa. If you’ve got rugs, flip them over and vacuum the undersides to remove as much dust and dirt as possible.
- When you do the big Christmas tidy up is entirely up to you, but many homeowners prefer to clean in the few days leading up to 25 December, as this means they don’t feel rushed to get everything done in just one day, and it also means they can then spend Christmas and Boxing Day relaxing, drinking mulled wine, and eating mince pies, without having to worry about chores.
At Gambu Security & Cleaning we pride ourself on offering targeted, innovative security systems and services that deliver solutions. As a turnkey service provider, we are able to provide our expertise and services to the retail, medical, governmental and commercial industry.
If you would like to learn more about world-class security and guarding services as well as our facilities management services, please feel free to contact us today. We are standing by to assist you!
“Guarding your future”
For more information:
We invite you to engage with us @GambuServices